1. Name / occupation / location:
Bruce Lowell / LEGO Artist / Los Angeles, CA
2. How long have you been doing what you’re doing?
I’ve been around LEGO for as long as I can remember, but I’ve been using it as an artistic medium for about ten years.
3. What was your last ‘day’ job (or what is your current day job)?
4. Favorite writer / artist / photographer?
It’s hard to pick favorites, but I’ve found myself being significantly inspired by: F. Scott Fitzgerald / Salvador Dali / Ansel Adams
5. Who or what inspires you to create?
Life! There’s so much out there that craves artistic expression.
6. Describe your last DIY project:
Non-LEGO related, but I built a closet at home. I’m not a carpenter or interior designer, so time will tell how good of a job I did.
7. Decade you wish you could visit?
Probably the 1950s.
8. A place you’ve visited that was almost too beautiful to capture?
The California coastline. It’s so varied and beautiful; it’s really something that has to be experienced to be appreciated.
9. Describe your pre-work ritual:
Usually just by experiencing my everyday life I’ll get an idea for a piece. I tend to interpret things I see in life into LEGO form, so in my mind I’ll build a feature that stands out in particular. If I like it enough, I’ll put some time aside to build it. When I actually start building, I’ll just make sure I have some uplifting music playing. I never like rushing a piece, so I’ll build in spurts or at least put a finished piece down and revisit it another day, once my mind is cleared.
10. Piece you created that is nearest and dearest to you:
A sphere design that’s been popularly named the “Lowell Sphere.” I created it about ten years ago, and it’s since been used by LEGOLAND, the LEGO company, and LEGO fans around the world. I can’t really wrap my mind around the idea that a technique I created is inspiring thousands of people, but it’s a cool thought nonetheless.
11. Something you care deeply about:
12. Current project you are working on:
I just released my personal website, which I’d been working on for a few months. Now that that’s out of the way, I’m working on re-organizing my growing LEGO collection to better facilitate building in the future.
13. Goal for the future:
I’m working on compiling some of my work to create a book.
You can view more of Bruce’s *AMAZING* LEGO creations at: www.brucelowell.com